Saturday, June 25, 2005

A shower would still be nice (6-25-05)…

One of the fun things about being pregnant that I am sure most expecting mom’s look forward to is a Baby Shower. During the last several years I have thrown approximately 10 baby showers. It started to become harder and I hosted less of them during our struggle with infertility. Nonetheless, when I became pregnant, I selfishly looked forward to it being my turn to be celebrated. I felt so special once finding out we were pregnant when several people talked about throwing a shower for us.

However, when we found out about Zoe’s condition, everything became confusing. No one has mentioned a shower in the past 5 weeks and I am sure they are wondering if it would be a good or a bad idea. I have wondered what to do and struggled with whether I am supposed to be preparing for Zoe’s life or her death. After finally receiving some encouraging news on Wednesday, I began to feel that it would be more appropriate to prepare for Zoe’s life, even if it does end up being a short life. I decided that I would ask Nichole (my sister-in-law) if she still wanted to host a shower and include people around here that I have kept closely informed about Zoe’s condition. I felt that this might be the group of people who would be more hopeful with me and desire to support us in this way. Nichole said that she would love to host the shower and we began to talk about potential dates. Though it is strange for me to ask specifically for this shower, it felt like a relief to begin to think about preparing for her life. It also takes away the uncomfortable questioning that others may be going through.

No comments:

Post a Comment