Thursday, June 30, 2005

Birthing Classes (6-30-05)…

About a month ago, I asked our nurse if it might be possible for David and I to have private birthing classes. I am still pregnant and going to deliver Zoe at some point and am actually quite nervous about the process. Our situation only heightens my nerves regarding the experience. David and I want to go through birthing classes but we felt that it would be easier to do them by ourselves instead of being in a class full of people who are excited about the perfectly healthy babies they are expecting. Fortunately, our nurse contacted someone who had previously led the classes and she was more than willing to do private classes for David and me. Dana Crosby was the nurse’s name. She told us that she was honored to be asked by Karen (our nurse) and was glad that she could help us out in this way. We were so thankful for her willingness.

We spent about 3 ½ hours with Dana and were able to cover most things that are covered in 4 weeks with most couples. Dana spent most of the time talking about the stages of labor, breathing, pushing, epidurals, and recovery. Besides flinching a couple of times during the birthing video, I actually held my emotions in pretty well…at least until she talked about the services they provide with families who have a baby that dies. Dana explained that they take lots of pictures, take hand and foot prints, and basically have a mini calling hour for the family in the delivery room. Though I know it is a possibility, I just can’t bare the thought of losing my little girl so shortly after bringing her into this world. We have been through so much already. God, please spare us from this additional devastation.

Dana was so kind to us. She is currently a labor and delivery nurse and seems very compassionate. She is one of the nurses that work with families who lose their babies. She offered us info that could be given to family members regarding what to do when a loved one's baby dies. I declined the material and decided that we would just get it if the need arose. I really just want to take it one step at a time right now. I want to focus on the fighter that Zoe is and the progress she is making. I really didn’t want to have the pamphlets about what to do if she dies lying around.

We hugged Dana and sincerely thanked her as we left. It was so wonderful for her to spend the entire evening with us. David and I talked about doing something nice for her in return…probably a gift certificate or something. David commented on our way out about how it kind of felt surreal. “I feel like we are leaving knowing things that we didn’t know when we went into the hospital.” I think he feels more prepared. I know that I certainly do. It is nice to feel like we are one step closer and like there is one less thing to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment