Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Our standing appointment (6-29-05)…

David and I arrived right on time and Dr. Landwehr was there doing some paperwork. Again, it was really nice to know that we would not have to wait long before beginning the ultrasound. We went right into the ultrasound room and Becky immediately started trying to find Zoe’s heartbeat. There it was…still strong…150bpm. She was not moving a lot during the initial part of the ultrasound but really woke up later on and even Becky could feel her moving through the ultrasound wand that she had on my stomach.

One of the main objectives for the day was to take measurements of Zoe to see if she is growing well. Becky took measurements of Zoe’s head, femur and feet. Zoe is in the 47th percentile with her weight/size which is estimated at 1 lb 11 oz. When measuring Zoe’s femur and foot, Becky said that on chromosomal abnormal babies, the foot is usually much smaller than the femur but that they are supposed to be the same. Zoe’s foot and femur were exactly the same length. Becky always feels that Zoe’s features do not match up to her diagnosis.
Becky again tried to find Zoe’s right hand to see if we could still detect 6 fingers. Zoe keeps hiding that hand. This time she had the hand in view but her fingers were clinched in a fist and we just couldn’t get a finger count. It kind of makes me wonder if God is doing something with her hand and He isn’t ready for us to see it yet. Becky also began to look at Zoe’s brain. When she was taking measurements of her brain, Becky was pointing out water that she still detected. I became very confused but tried not to worry about it. David didn’t seem concerned. Dr. Landwehr came in a little later and we asked him to also look at Zoe’s brain. He told Becky that she was not measuring water but that she was measuring brain mantel. It was almost like they began arguing because she felt that he had told her one thing another time. I didn’t really care to hear them argue, I just wanted to know if Zoe’s brain looked good or not. Dr. Landwehr said that she does not have water on her brain but he has no guarantees about the quality of the brain mantel. That was fine…I just wanted to see that it still looked good at this time and it did. Becky left the room and Dr. Landwehr continued to ultrasound Zoe’s head. I asked if he could also look at her nose while he was at it. I explained that at one time we had been told that Zoe does not have a nasal bone and I wanted to know what he thought. For some reason, I had never really believed that she actually didn’t have her nasal bone. Dr. Landwehr looked and pointed out Zoe’s nasal bone and stated that she would not have a distinct nose if there was no nasal bone. Zoe’s nose looks good.

Again, we left feeling good about the appointment. Our little girl is really hanging in there. She physically looks well and her brain still seems to be looking great. We did not spend much time looking at the heart so we are not sure if there are any changes there. Nonetheless, we are grateful for the growth and progress little Zoe is making. David asked if I would pray as we pulled away from the hospital and headed to Taco Bell for lunch. I prayed and thanked God for the good news we continued to receive on Zoe. I asked that He not allow me to get my hopes up if there are only to be dashed later on. I want to believe that God is doing miraculous things in Zoe and I want to be confident in that. David and I talked and determined that we just need to be happy with what we are finding out at this time. Thank you Jesus for our little girl and what you are doing in her!

No comments:

Post a Comment