Monday, July 25, 2005

Happy anniversary…

7-24-05

Tomorrow, David and I will have been married 7 years. We are both taking tomorrow morning off of work but thought that we would do some of the celebrating this evening. David and I decided to forego small group for the evening and head to Taylor University to Ivanhoe’s where we had our first date almost 11 years ago. Ivanhoe’s was incredibly busy but we didn’t really mind. David did however have the goal of avoiding anyone he knew and though he saw some familiar people, he was successful at avoiding interactions. David ordered a Big Panther burger and a Trojan II milkshake. I ordered a grilled chicken salad and strawberry lemonade for David and me to share. On our first date, David and I shared a strawberry lemonade and so it is sentimental to order one even if it isn’t our favorite. David chuckled when he thought about how cheap he must have seemed on our first date…we went to Ivanhoe’s and shared a strawberry lemonade. It told him that I just thought it was sweet and didn’t think about him being cheap.

David and I sat in the back room of Ivanhoe’s reminiscing about what we first noticed and liked about each other and the good conversation we had. We also spent some time talking about Zoe and the things that we look forward to experiencing with her. We tried to answer the questions assuming that Zoe would be healthy. I said that I look forward to holding Zoe and having her look at me and smile and know that I am her mommy. I look forward to talking with and singing to her and having her fall asleep in my arms as I rock her in her nursery. I also look forward to pushing her in her stroller and taking walks through the neighborhood. David said that he really looks forward to Zoe recognizing that he is daddy and he looks forward to taking her places with him…not in a way that he is showing her off but in a way that she will remember getting to go places with daddy…like the store and out to eat, etc. David also said that he especially looks forward to having her fall asleep on his chest.

After finishing our dinner, David suggested that I get a milkshake so that he could have some of it. So we stood in the long line and ordered a chocolate peanut butter something. It was a PB shake with a crushed Reese’s stick mixed in and a scoop of chocolate ice cream and Spanish peanuts on top. We ate the shake as we drove down to Taylor to continue our date. By the way, the shake was incredible.

Earlier in the day, I had suggested to David that we pray together at the Taylor prayer chapel. Unfortunately, when we got there, we discovered that it was locked. However, we decided to improvise and sat outside the prayer chapel on the bench just outside and prayed together there. We decided to pray for our relationship and for Zoe. I started out praying for our relationship and thanking God for the seven wonderful years he has brought us through. David followed and prayed more for our relationship and then for Zoe. He thanked God for her and prayed that he would heal her completely. I sat beside him and wept. It took a while for me to gain my composure enough to even pray for Zoe, but David and I just sat there patiently until I was able to talk. I pleaded with God that he would heal our little girl whom I have truly developed a relationship with. I begged Him to afford me the luxury to watch her grow and thrive. It was a very special time praying with David. As we walked away from the prayer chapel, we talked about the need to do things like this more often.

David and I completed our date by walking around the Taylor loop, which is just over a mile. We continued to talk and enjoy our time together. It was sweltering hot so we were not able to walk for too long. We left Taylor at about 9pm and headed back home to Muncie.

Anniversary day (7-25-05)…
I awoke earlier than David did…my internal clock does not seem to allow me to sleep in as much as I used to. I decided to make us breakfast in bed…Chocolate Chip pancakes for David and Blueberry pancakes for me. He really appreciated the gesture and always loves anything with chocolate. Later that morning, we exercised on our machines in the basement. It is still too hot to do much outside so it was best to exercise in the comfort of air conditioning. David and I both went into work at about 2pm. I saw 5 clients and then came home. Earlier today, David’s dad called and said that he would treat us to dinner at the restaurant of our choice. We decided to eat at Johnnie Carino’s…a great Italian restaurant in town. David had spicy shrimp and chicken and I had my favorite, chicken piccatta. Overall, David and I had a really enjoyable couple of days celebrating our anniversary. I feel like we are really connecting lately and we both absolutely love any amount of time we are able to spend together.

No comments:

Post a Comment