Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Happy Birthday Al

Today is my father-in-law's birthday. He is the best father-in-law I have ever had and he says that I am one of two of the best daughters-in-law he has ever had. Ahh...how sweet. Three years ago, we began a tradition for Al's birthday and you know how I love traditions. For years and years, I have heard Al talk about his favorite place to eat in his old stomping grounds of Fort Wayne...Coney Island Wiener Stand, "home of the steamed buns." Mostly, he used to joke about taking me there since I don't eat the main item on their menu. However, I must say that they make some pretty darn good baked beans.

So, on Labor Day, we loaded up the troops and headed to Coney Island. It definitely is a hole in the wall, but it is a great experience and it is quite fitting that this has become Al's birthday tradition. This year, before moving on to dessert at my favorite ice cream place (Cold Stone Creamery), Al led us to the creek where he used to play as a child. Al enjoys taking Jonah (and the other grandkids) to throw stones at the creek by our house (Al and Karen live just around the corner so the creek is near their house as well). During one of those walks, Al told Jonah that someday he would take him to his creek as a kid. So, on Monday we did just that. Al seemed to enjoy showing all of the grandkids his creek and the adults all seemed to enjoy watching that happen. Happy Birthday Al! We love you a ton!

2 comments:

  1. You are right. It was such a fun day and definitely a Smith/Wenger tradition. God has been good to bring such brokenhearted people together so we can love and support each other.I will have to take everyone out to the farm and give you a tour of the barn. I have many, many happy memories from the childhood AND there is a "crick" behind the barn that I played in as a child. I am feeling another family get together needs to be planned.
    Love you all so much.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I love the new look of your blog.

    ReplyDelete