Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Thoughts from Martha

9-14-05

I can't believe that the day is here. I have been waiting and praying for Christina and David to have their own little baby for sooooo long. I don't know how they have made it as far as they have. I might of given up, if that were an option, but they found the strength to continue. They have endured so many emotions leading up to the birth of Zoe. I know that I have been on a rollercoaster since David called me with the news of Zoe's condition. My heart has praised God for giving them a child and ached about the unknown of what Zoe's life will be like. I am so glad that people came around Chris and David and tried to support them in the best way that they knew how.

I have wondered how today would be. I never thought though that I would have somehow missed the call from Chris and David that they were having the baby. I mean, I have been sleeping with my cell phone, but I guess that it wasn't meant to be. I guess that I was supposed to actually arrive on the day after Zoe's birth.

When I received the message from David, I was just arriving at Camp Mary Orton for a camp work day with Godman Guild. I noticed the message before I went to meet with everyone. When I listened to it, I was in complete shock. I knew that Zoe was here and that I had completely missed the moment. My mind was racing as tears streamed down my face. I couldn't get a grasp of my emotions and what was happening. Marcie and Wendy noticed me and came over to talk. They could both immediately tell that I was in no mood to be at the camp. I had warned Wendy that when Zoe came, that I would need some time off. Marcie told me to get in the car and get to Indiana. I could tell that Wendy was a little befuddled as she is my boss but whatever. I jumped back in the car still in tears and called Eric. I told him the news and that I was going to run home and grab some clothes and get to Indiana.

On my way home, I got ahold of David and found out that Zoe was born the night before. She needed oxygen, and they were running other tests. They were both exhausted but seemed somewhat encouraged. They had both held Zoe. I told David that I would get there as soon as I could. I called many others folks to tell them the news like T, my mom, and Bobbie. I wanted the prayers to roll in.

It was such a long trip. I was so anxious to see Christina and meet Zoe. My heart and mind were going a million different directions. I knew though that one prayer had been answered. Zoe was here and very much alive. I was praying on and off through the trip for Zoe, Chris, David, family, friends, and praise to God.

When I finally arrived at the hospital, I joined Christina and David's family. Christina was doing amazingly well for having undergone surgery and soon was ready to take me in to see Zoe.

Having never been in a NICU, I was a little bit overwhelmed at first by the procedures and all of the equipment, but when we made it over to Zoe, I was overcome. She was so beautiful with Christina's dark hair. I never would have known that she had trisomy 13 by looking at her. You could see Christina's love flow out around Zoe. She is a mom. We had been waiting for this day. David was a little more stoic but still so happy to be a dad. I think that he was also just concerned for Chris. While I knew that we didn't know yet what all of the tests might show, I was so thankful that I was able to be with Zoe. The hard part was not scooping her up and kissing her all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment