Monday, September 19, 2005

A Letter to Zoe

To my daughter Zoe- September 19, 2005

You are our miracle. Your name means life and you are our gift of life. For years, your daddy and I longed for you. We didn’t know what you would look like or how you would act but yet we longed specifically for you. That became clear when we saw you for the first time and began to understand who you were.

I love you Zoe. I have desired to be a mother for so long now and your life allowed that dream to come true. I have longed for a child to know that I am their mother and to receive that look that only a mommy receives from their child. You gave that to me Zoe. You would look at me with your deep blue eyes that reminded me of your daddy and you would extend your arms toward me like you knew who I was. You seemed to know that I loved you and wanted to do everything in my power to protect you and make you feel safe. Thank you for recognizing my love for you, Zoe, and for loving me back.

Zoe, I am convinced that you were a fighter and I am certain that God’s hand was on your life from the time you were conceived. Throughout the time you were in my womb, God continued to display miracles through your progress. God healed your body in so many ways for which the doctors had no explanation. Your life gave us hope, Zoe, and I believe that it gave hope to so many others as well. Thank you, God, for the miracles that provided us with hope. Thank you, Zoe, for fighting and allowing God to work through you.

Zoe, though I knew in my mind that your life would be brief, you gave me such joy. Though I have experienced joy in my life, this joy was unique. I will forever treasure the 2 ½ days you spent with us. My heart breaks as I consider the knowledge that I will never again be able to hold and comfort you in my arms during my life on earth. You are and will always be our precious little Zoe. I know that now you are being comforted in the arms of your loving Heavenly Father. He will take care of you, but you already know that. I have always known that Jesus loves children and though I desperately want to have you in my arms, there is no place safer you could be than with Him.

I will miss you Zoe. I will miss everything about you. You were perfect to me and now I understand why I longed specifically for you. You taught me so much and I am grateful that God entrusted us with your precious life.

No comments:

Post a Comment