Monday, September 19, 2005

David's message at Zoe's funeral...

DAVID'S TALK…

Hi everyone. Thanks so much for being here tonight. There are many things I could tell you about:

I could tell you about how scary it was to think my baby girl might die.
I could tell you how wonderful it was to finally see Zoe and hold her and kiss her, and truly feel like a dad for the first time.
I could tell you how hard it is to know I will never see Zoe fall asleep on my chest.
I could tell you how thankful I am for the compassionate medical staff that gave Zoe every chance to live that they could.
I could tell you how hard it is to see my wife’s broken heart.

So many things, but instead, I am going to tell you the top six things I ever did to prepare for the most unpreparable moment I ever faced.

# 6 I have tried to face pain, not fear pain. This is something I have had to learn. I used to fear pain, avoid pain, ignore pain, and feel sorry for myself during pain. Those things left me inept to deal with pain. Therefore, I have tried to face pain.

# 5 I have tried to enjoy the gifts God has given to me instead of fixating on the things I don’t have. That has never been more necessary than this week.

# 4 I have tried to never give up on family. My nephew Josiah says, “It is happy to be a family.” And it is, but it hasn’t always been happy to be a family. So, in my family we have tried to never give up on each other. I love my family.

# 3 I have tried to be committed to my friends. That is what Jesus did. He considers us friends, and so he is committed to us all the way. I have tried to be committed to my friends.
Some people say that you should surround yourself with great people, and though that is true, I say that you should love the people you are around and they will become great people. I love my friends.

# 2 I have tried to spend time daily allowing Jesus to remind me of who He is, who I am, and who He has created me to be. I love Jesus

# 1 I made a decision to be committed to my wife. Christina and I know that no matter what we go through, we are going through it together. I love my wife.

Some of you may ask me for a copy of this list when I get done. I won’t give it to you, because you don’t need it. All you need to do is be committed to your friends, which includes your spouse and family, and be committed to Jesus, and in your time of pain, you will see your own list at work in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment