Monday, June 1, 2009

More Simple Things

It's a stormy night in Indiana. David and I have always loved watching storms. I remember watching them with my dad from our front porch when we lived in the old farm house in the country. David and his family also grew up watching the storms in the field across from his house. I remember especially early in our marriage, David and I would turn off the lights and turn our couch towards the window and watch the lightning. There were a few years when life got busy that we didn't stop to watch the storms...many things including the storms seemed to pass us by. What a shame...

I am so thankful that life has somewhat slowed down for us. (That is, as slowed down as it can be with two little boys.) Nonetheless, I remember that last summer while I was pregnant with Judah and when Jonah was 1 1/2, we set up our lawn chairs at the edge of the garage and watched for the thunder. David attempted to teach Jonah how to determine how far away the storm is by counting the seconds between the lightning and the thunder. I think that ignited something in Jonah. He gets so excited when he thinks that a storm is coming. Typically, Jonah will want to sit on our bed and watch for the lightning out our bedroom window. Tonight, he asked daddy to put him up on the counter to watch out the kitchen window. David gladly watched for the storm with Jonah and with Judah.

As I continue to search for the meaning of simplicity, I am beginning to understand that God may be revealing more and more of the meaning through observing the joy that overwhelms my boys through simple things. I am grateful that I have the opportunity to slow down and not let these moments pass me by.

No comments:

Post a Comment