Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Visit

As odd as this may sound, David and I enjoy going to the cemetery on Memorial Day. To see the display of flags is practically breathtaking and a visual reminder of so many who have sacrificed their lives for our freedom.

The cemetery where Zoe is buried is quite beautiful. Typically there are few decorations. However, on Memorial Day weekend, there are flowers, balloons, flags and other items throughout the entire cemetery. Ever since Zoe died, I have found it very meaningful to be able to share my flowers with her...meaning, when I get flowers, I like to pass them along to her. This weekend, David gave me beautiful sunflowers for my birthday. This morning, Zoe received one of those sunflowers. Judah touched Zoe's grave for the first time today and of course we all kissed the "o". As David and I walked throughout the cemetery, we talked about how everyone visiting the graves have had a common experience of tragedy. It is interesting but most often when we are at the cemetery, we are not typically sad. It hasn't always been that way, however. Most often, we are sad and reflective for a moment and then we turn to each other and can't help but be grateful. Jonah is very used to visiting Zoe's grave. He says "hello" to Zoe when we arrive and "goodbye Zoe" when we are driving away. He walks around like he is comfortable. He is always playful...he is a two year old! We talked about the common thread of joy that we could all have but that it is not a typical display at cemeteries. I wonder how Jonah and Judah's view of death will be affected because of their regular visits to the cemetery. We often talk about our life in Jesus when we are there. I hope that this even more so has an effect on their view of death.





No comments:

Post a Comment