Monday, January 4, 2010

Celebrating 2010


David and I have always loved what a friend of mine has termed "staycations"...a.k.a. vacations at home. For the past 2 months, we had begun anticipating our Christmas/News Years staycation. We were going to have a house full of Smiths. Thirteen Smiths, one Smith dog, a Smith's sister and one non-Smith roommate who we are hoping somehow becomes a Smith when one day some Smith in shining armor sweeps her off of her feet and asks her to become a Smith too. Anyhow, we had a 4 day staycation with games, crazy amounts of food, laughing, additional guests, lots of noise especially from the 7 kids and fun, fun, fun. At the end of the weekend, I told David that I want to do staycations more often. He suggested "once a quarter" and I say "bring it on". It is not often that I get to spend much time anymore with Martha's family. It was great being with Martha, Eric, and of course Zoe Zola. Because Martha and Eric both came down with a nasty virus during their stay, I got to spend some concentrated time with Zoe Zola. She is the sweetest little thing and typically only cries when she is tired or hungry. Judah tries to crawl on her but Jonah adores her. The way he interacts with her reminds me of how he was with Judah when he was littler. Jonah loves saying "Zoe Zo Zo" and being very close to her. He becomes very concerned when she is unhappy. It is so precious to watch. During one meal, when it happened to be just David, Jonah, Judah, Zoe and me, Jonah asked if we could pray a second time and it was obvious that the reason was so that he could hold Zoe's hand again while we prayed. So, so sweet.
Earlier in the weekend, when Nichole was holding Zoe, she asked me if it was "weird" for me. She was referring what it is like calling her Zoe. This was the closest Nichole had been to another Zoe baby since she held my daughter Zoe. I understand what she was referring to. It was odd at first for me too but it keeps getting easier each time I get to spend time with Zoe Zola. I was explaining to my 8 year old nephew, Josiah, that Zoe has the same name as my daughter/ his cousin and he asked me "why"? When I explained to Josiah that Eric and Martha wanted to honor our family by naming their daughter after our Zoe, he seemed a little perplexed. In some ways it is still a bit perplexing to me as well. The true honor of that choice is almost an emotion that I cannot quite fully comprehend. Though I cannot fully comprehend the honor, I know that I love both Zoe Dawn and Zoe Zola A LOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment