Monday, April 20, 2009

Martha and Zoe Beth


Martha and I met during college at Taylor. She means the world to me. Who knew that one day we would both marry Smiths and she too could say "I love being a Smith". Martha is 32 weeks pregnant and has been experiencing signs of preeclampsia as well as distress for the baby due to inconsistent blood pressure. Martha was admitted to the hospital last week where she will likely remain for the duration of her pregnancy. Martha recently read that a 32 week fetus has the same survival rate as a full-term baby, so reaching the 32 week mark brought a great deal of relief. Though Martha is quickly getting bored (with would you believe no cell phone reception and no internet) she is being well cared for.


About 2 months ago, Martha and her husband, Eric, asked David and I how we would feel about them choosing to name their daughter after our Zoe. Martha and Eric have expressed that they have been touched and changed by Zoe and her short life. David and I took our time discussing it and came to the conclusion that we would be honored by such a gesture. It did not cross my mind until days later that Martha's Zoe would not only have the same first name but also the same last name as our Zoe...Zoe Smith. How ironic and how beautiful. Martha is choosing to call her Zoe Beth which I think is absolutely adorable! I cannot wait to meet Zoe Beth and smell her sweet sweet newborn skin.

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to meet her as well. I have been thinking about Zoe Dawn quite a bit lately and I'm so excited that Mart and Eric's daughter will have such a beautiful name with such significance. I love all you Smiths very much.
    Love,
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so touching and it is so nice to see that you and Martha have kept in touch and such a great relationship since our days at Taylor. My prayers are with Martha & her little Zoe. I think of your Zoe each time I see Danielle's little Zoe. Your little girl made such an impact in her short time with you. A blessing for sure.

    ReplyDelete