Friday, July 10, 2009

Relaxing over July 4th


What a great weekend we had over July 4th! It was really relaxing and fun. Seeing that a week later, I am just now writing about it, is a good indication that the days following got pretty busy. On Friday the 3rd, we traveled to Dallas Lake where David's grandparents live and spent time visiting and riding around on their pontoon. Jonah had the special privilege of even "driving" the boat with Great Buckaw Smith...of course I didn't have my camera on that ride. Jonah loved cuddling with Memaw Wenger, riding the boat, and playing in the lake. He actually seemed more comfortable than ever in the water....he is not like his mommy since I rarely feel comfortable in lake water!

I love snuggling with my boys any chance I get. The boat rides were a perfect

opportunity for just that!

Four generations of Smith boys...Judah, David, Bill, Al, Jonah

On Friday night, we headed on to Ohio to spend the next day with my parents and extended family. Holidays are great in Van Wert since we often get to experience parades full of sirens, bands, animals, and old tractors...everything that Jonah adores right now. Judah slept through most of the parade so he didn't have the full experience. After the parade on Saturday, we went to Aunt Liz and Uncle Kerry's house for our regular July 4th cookout which was furnished with cornhole, wiffle ball, and more food than you can imagine. Though it rained pretty constantly on the 4th, it was actually light enough that we stayed outside during most of it. I blame my rain spotted glasses for my less than desirable cornhole performance!

On Saturday night, we drove back to Muncie thinking that we might get back just in time for the fireworks display. We pulled into town just ten minutes before the big start. We found a decent spot in the Marsh parking lot where we decided to watch the fireworks from our car. I feed Judah while David held Jonah and we all ate cheddar popcorn. In Muncie, the local radio station and the fireworks company work together to create "Set the night to music" in which the fireworks are let off with the patriotic songs being played. So, not only did we watch the fireworks and eat cheddar popcorn, but we also sang as loud as we could...especially to "I'm Proud to be an American". It was a wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I love the pictures of Jonah cuddled up with me on the boat ride. Thank you, dear Christina, for putting that picture on your blog. It made me feel very special. Love you all. Karen

    ReplyDelete