Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Can you feel it?

This morning, I sent my boys out the door in their sweatshirts...no winter coats with hoods, just their sweatshirts. Maybe I am being a bit eager but I think they will be able to handle it just fine. I didn't wear a coat at all and felt just fine. I love that the sun is shining and that I can feel spring in the air. The snow is melting and though the ground is a mess from being saturated, I have faith that in just a few days my boys will be able to walk on it without ending up with their shoes caked in mud. Our driveway and sidewalks are clear and the boys have loved getting to play outside. I remember feeling this way last year and now I am feeling it again...I think that nice weather makes me feel like a better mom. When I take the kids outside, they seem happier and more entertained. I find myself saying 'no' less often and sitting back able to enjoy their exploration of the things around them. It is hard to believe the difference a year makes. Last year, I would have had to strategically plan our trips outside around Judah's 3 naps a day schedule and I would have been holding him almost every time we were outdoors. This year, he wants to run with the big dogs. Yesterday, Jonah and his friend, John, wanted to ride their trikes down the sidewalk to the end of the road. Judah was right there behind them, practically running as fast as they could ride. And he has fallen in love with the electric car. Fortunately, since it isn't too safe for Judah at this point, David detached the battery so that even though the car won't move, Judah can still climb in a dance to the music that plays when he pushes the car's buttons. He acts as if he doesn't have a care in the world. I am looking forward to a spring that is not governed by my children's nap schedules but instead by their desires to be kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment